I've been wonder what this blog is supposed to be. Becoming Zen.... It's like I'm on a diet, I'm logging my steps and if I get skinny you can follow my map to success. But... it's actually not like that at all. I don't think they will ever be a point where I'll say "look at me, I'm zen!" So, then it just becomes a journal of me working my way through life trying to become more focused, calm, enlightened or any number of things that you might equate with being zen.
Another thing I could do is pass along information that I gather along the way from various sources.. buddhist magazines, books, internet etc. I suppose this could be helpful, but there is so much information out there, why get it second hand from me? I could tell you what I think of it or how some practice felt for me, but I'm certainly no expert.
So, the only thing I can think of is that maybe this blog could be the source of some inspiration. Maybe reading about a guy in his early 40's trying to open up his mind and heat to a better way of being on this planet would make someone else think.. "hmm, maybe I could try some of that zen stuff too." Maybe someone will say to themselves, "well, he has a full time job, a commute and two small children to raise; maybe that's not an excuse for coming home, eating quick processed foods and zoning out in front of the t.v." Or... maybe that is a fine excuse... maybe that's your path.
I guess it's also for me. It gets me to reflect on what I'm doing in my life. Sometimes when I sit down to write in this blog I realize all kinds of little details about my life that I wouldn't pay attention to otherwise. But... maybe the title is misleading? Maybe it should be Becoming Zen and Not Becoming Zen? Maybe with a title like that I'd feel less pressure when I sat down to write to make sure it was about the path to becoming a zen master. But, then again, everything is part of the path to becoming a zen master.
So, I guess I want to clarify for myself and for anyone who might stumble upon this, that this blog is about anything and everything along the road to becoming a zen master. Also, that I don't have any expectation of becoming a zen master anytime soon... or even in this life. But.. I will enjoy being on the path.
No comments:
Post a Comment